Say goodbye to the hassle and time commitment of making your own bagels! Try this super easy 2-ingredient bagel recipe that can make a whole batch in less than 20 minutes, thanks to the huge basket in the Philips Air Fryer XXL!
For this quick and easy recipe, you’ll need:
1 cup Self Rising Flour (see note below on how to make your own!)
- 3/4 cup 8% M.F Plain Greek Yogurt
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Short Pot
- Slotted Spatula
- Philips Air Fryer XXL
Start by adding the self rising flour and yogurt to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- By using your fingers, begin gently cutting the yogurt into the flour.
- When the yogurt and flour have come together into one ball of dough, dump the dough onto a floured countertop and knead for 4-5 minutes or until you have a smooth dough with no lumps. Add more flour if the dough gets too sticky.
- Cut the dough into 3-4 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a stick and wrap it around itself to create a circular bagel shape.
- Pinch where the dough meets and give another quick roll to seal the seam.
- In a short pot, bring 2-3 inches of water to a boil. (Quick tip - Add Barley Malt Syrup or a small amount of dark molasses to the water to add that classic NY Bagel flavour)
- While the water is coming to a boil, also preheat your air fryer to 350F.
- Gently place 1-2 bagels at a time into the boiling water to prevent overcrowding the pot.
- Boil for 45 seconds and carefully flip the bagels over using the slotted spatula. Continue boiling for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove the bagels from the boiling water and place them directly into your preheated air fryer basket, leaving 1-2 inches between the bagels for expansion.
- Once all the bagels are boiled, and in the basket, return the basket to the air fryer and cook at 350F for 12-15 minutes.
- The bagels are ready when they have a golden-brown crust on the outside and bounce back when you gently press them.
- Allow the bagels to cool on the counter for 5 minutes before cutting into them.
Enjoy your fresh bagels by toasting them, putting cream cheese on them, making a bagel sandwich, or enjoying them as is!
This recipe makes super simple plain bagels, but the options are limitless. After boiling, you can top these bagels with sesame seeds or your favourite everything bagel seasoning blend, add cinnamon and raisins to the dough, or even add shredded cheese to the dough and top the bagels with some more shredded cheese 3 minutes before they finish cooking in the air fryer!
Note: If you can’t find self rising flour at your local grocery store, there’s no need to worry! You can make your own at home by sifting 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder and 0.5 teaspoons of salt together.